Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012

hello

Since years I am teaching and playing music from Africa, Ghana and also other coutnries in Ghana and in Europe. I discuss  a lot over emails and publish reports and offers on my website (http://www.african-music-dance.com/). Now I am interested to have more public discussions about music, traditions, ethnological questions and teaching with all its problems nowadays. So I am writing blogs!
Recently I had a very interesting converstion on mail about the music in tradition... in Ghana and of cours this is also concerning Africa as a whole. Read the following discussion and add your ideas about.

I wrote to his questions of what I think about the falling apart or changing of the african music tradition in Ghana.

Thank you for your questions and your interest in the african music and
dance. Our african traditional rhythm and dance should be respected in our
society. Rhythms and dances communicate and they are symbol of bringing
unity. The strength of african music has a very big value and to make a use
of it is to respect it and appreciate it. Many times a lot of people don't
regard our traditional music inside and out of Ghana. If you are playing
traditional instruments, they look at you with the unrespected idea of
"local". But our rhythms and dances have a lot of messages in our african
tradition. The songs are all proverbs. Some of our rhythm games stand for
mathematics. I will advice you to be strong and creative. Send the message
to the public, for them to realise how important our african traditional
music is. We are the ones who are sending the message to let the others
realize the value in music. It is not just african or local music.
I often said: music brings energy, energy brings happyness, happyness
brings concentration and that helps you in your life to be relaxed. Many
times people are feeling shy, speacially our Ghanains to play our
traditional instruments. Because they don't see how music can bring unity
in the comunity.
In our royal houses, after the chief solved problems, they use our
traditional instruments and songs, cheer everybody up with it and bring
unity. It doesn't matter which religion you belong to. In the end we dance
the same music and sing the same songs. For me that shows the strength of
traditional music.

So far - if there are more questions I hope I can help you. Are you using
this for your research? And as you are in the performing art, maybe I also
need your help one time.

Peter Donkor


he replied then...

Thank you very much Mr. Donkor for the information and the advice you gave me. In fact, i must say i am so much impressed and i do appreciate every information you sent me. I am going to do exactly as you said by sending this message to the public. Yes i am using this for my research work and i'll get back to you again if i need more informations on the challenges facing our African traditional drum rhythm and dance, or to know some of the factors influencing the drum rhythm in the volta region and Ghana as a whole. Once again, I really appreciate your help and i am most greatfull to you for your kind help. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do need my help too some day.
Yours Sincerely,
Eric.




have a nice day and read soon more about music, teaching, traditions, Art in Ghana or Africa....

Greetings
Peter

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen